Long before chains like the Holiday Inn Express and La Quinta took over, Oshawa was home to many long-forgotten hotels.
So we explored the Oshawa Public Libraries Heritage Collection and the Robert McLaughin Gallery’s Thomas Bouckley Collection to see what we could find.
How many do you know?
Queen’s Hotel Located at the corner of Simcoe Street and Bond Street, the Queen’s Hotel opened in 1874 on the site of what had once been a chair and bedstead business. Considered to be the grandest in Oshawa, in 1921 it was converted into apartments with stores on the ground level.
Monroe’s Hotel Monroe’s Hotel dates back to 1850, and was located on the south west corner of King Street and Simcoe Street, where the TD Bank now stands. There’s little information about the hotel, but from the sketch we can tell that it was centrally located, simple, two stories tall, and constructed of wood.
The Lancaster When the hotel opened in 1848 it was known as “Mr. Woon’s Hotel”, then became the “Commercial Hotel”, and acquired it’s final name, “The Lancaster” in 1936, when it was purchased by the Lancaster family. The building stood until 1977, on the site where the Ontario Ministry of Revenue now stands
Mallett House Hotel Built in 1896 at the south-west corner of Annis and Albert Streets, facing the Oshawa Junction train station, this hotel was an eye-catching two storey clapboard structure with front veranda. Although the station is long gone, the tracks are still in use today. Note the children sitting patiently in the cold back in 1910 when this photo was taken.
Oshawa House It’s now apartments and a revolving assortment of small shops, but the north west corner of King and Centre Streets was built in 1838 and was once the Oshawa House, which was home to a ballroom and “the” place of celebration for the community.
All these photographs are (c) Oshawa Public Libraries and the Robert McLaughlin Gallery’s Thomas Bouckley Collection. Click the links to search their collection for more photos of historic Oshawa.